[TowerTalk] Power dividers

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Jun 1 20:32:58 PDT 2010

In the past I've used both the  and the C3i 144 and 440 power dividers.
Today to finished taking down the antennas and only have the 3 sections
of mast left to get out of the tower. That 40' will be replaced with two
sections of 2" DOM with 1.4" wall. I may add another section to move the
rotator down into the tower a bit farther.

My problem is that both the 144 and 440 power dividers have had water in
them. Enough water that it went through the N-type connectors and into
the coax. Only two connectors out of 6 were still good, or I should say,
undamaged.    They could be reused with a careful and thorough cleaning,
but I rarely reuse them when they are in good shape. The coax shield to
those bad connectors was about 50% powder.

Now I'm looking for both 2 way and 4 way power dividers that will cover
the entire 2-meter band at the legal limit with lots of overhead for
comfort. I do not want to use phasing lines.
I had planned on leaving the 144 and 440 arrays down, but now I'm
beginning to think maybe I'll put the pair of 440 and pair of 144
vertically polarized antennas back up, plus 4 horizontally polarized for
SSB and CW. I'd probably mount the vertically polarized antennas down on
the tower, just low enough to clear the top set of guys. So far I don't
know what I'll really end up with. The goal for the 45G is simply the
40M3-125 and the 7L C3i, but it'd be nice to be able to get at least the
144 and maybe 440 pairs up on a single cross boom.  That doesn't have to
be as high, but then again I might be able to fit a pair of "long johns"
for 144 on the mast with one between the 40M3 and the C3i and one above
the C3i. Just things to think about, but before I can do much of
anything on 144 I need to find some good, reliable power dividers.

73

Roger (K8RI)