[TowerTalk] Choke on half sloper

bill ogden billogden at optonline.net
Wed Jun 2 07:10:53 PDT 2010

I plan to order the large type 31 toroids for my yagi.  I was also  thinking about them for my half sloper, but then I began to wonder if a choke is relevant for this antenna.  After all, my tower is the main part of the half sloper (connected to the coax shield); the coax runs down the tower (with about 15" standoff). Does additional coupling from the tower to the coax shield introduce additional noise?  (My primary concern is reduced receiver noise.)

I realize there are various opinions about half slopers, but mine works modestly well on 80 meters and so-so on 160. It is attached at about the 38' level of a 55' tower. It is better than nothing and is better than a terminated dipole (grounded resistors at each end) with the top at about 50'.

Bill - W2WO