[TowerTalk] Antenna switch choices

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Jun 15 17:46:51 PDT 2010

On 6/15/2010 6:15 PM, Mike wrote:
> I have a 6M yagi and a SteppIR on my tower, as well as a couple of
> slopers. The HF coax comes down the tower to a tower mounted Rat Pack
> remote switch. The 6M coax runs straight from the antenna to the K3 (2
> antenna ports).
>
> I'm getting a new amp that covers HF and 6M but has only 1 antenna
> connector, so I'm going to have to do something different with the 6M coax.

Either way you are going to need to have one switch in the line. It
makes little difference whether it's at the rig or at the base of the tower.
If you are young and can climb easily then it makes no difference if the
remote switch is at the top of the tower.  If you have to hire a climber
it's better to have the switch where you can reach it.

What you do save by having the remote switch close to the antenna is
coax. If you can afford the extra coax then the choice becomes one of
preference.
If you might possibly want to use two stations at once then you are
going to need a remote switch like the 6-pack with two lines to it.

It depends on what you want to do, but if I had only one station a
single coax would work fine. With two stations I use the 6-pack.
> Either cut it and put it on the Rat Pack, and have only 1 coax coming
> into the shack, or put a manual switch in the shack to switch between 6
> and HF.
>
> First consideration is for which scheme has the least loss. Opinions?

Are you thinking of, or is there a possibility of running more than one
rig at a time?

73

Roger (K8RI)