[TowerTalk] Shack ground

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Jun 17 14:16:08 PDT 2010

>K7DD is right. Bond to your SPG with as big a wire as you feel you can
>afford.

Just finished reading the grounding article in the July issue of QST.  I'm
surprised more use is not made of double-bolted lugs for master ground
busses and radial plates.  Many commercial copper MGBs use standard paired
hole spacing to allow for double-bolt lugs.  I've not see this with any ham
product, including copper buss bars and ground radial plates.

The benefit of the double bolt is that it cannot accidentally spin from
lateral wire pressure - and work itself loose.  Often, large rigid grounding
cables and strap are connected to these points and it does not take much
leveraged pressure from a point at some distance from the bolted connection
to spin the bolt.   When I do add a station MGB, I'll make sure it
accommodates these bolts, even if I have to drill out an extra set.

Paul, W9AC