[TowerTalk] Shack ground

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Fri Jun 18 05:02:15 PDT 2010

> > A direct hit = you're going to get stuff fried, maybe wires are going to
> > vaporize anyway. I have seen aluminum service drops - 5/8" aluminum
> > conductors - vaporized and leave only shards of insulation. Goodbye ham
> > radio station, computers, televisions, just about anything connected to AC
> > power if your breakers don't trip immediately!

Our club repeater antenna is high in the air. While I have not witnessed
a direct lightning strike, we can see the pit marks of many direct
lightning strikes on the antenna over the 15 years it has been in
operation.  The antenna and repeater are still in working order, and
still taking direct lightning strikes.

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain