[TowerTalk] SPG is a terrible term

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 18 05:33:03 PDT 2010

I think we should do away with the term "Single Point Ground"... it
conjures up thoughts of ground rods, etc., and that's really not what
it's all about..

I can't think of a good new term, but something like "Common Potential
Reference Bonding point" is more accurate for what we're trying to
accomplish.

And yes, that CPRBP (or whatever) should be bonded to the "earth ground"
of the building, and most likely will also be bonded to the "Antenna
system earth connection" (if only incidentally.... If all you have is a
dipole, perhaps not)

It doesn't even need to be a "single point", although it is true that
"star" bonding tends to be better than random, multiple interconnects.
But if you have multiple shielded cables connecting multiple boxes,
trying to arrange perfect "grounding trees" is pretty tricky.

Jim