[TowerTalk] Is lightning hitting the tower..or the yagi's ?

Dan Zimmerman N3OX n3ox at n3ox.net
Sat Jun 19 11:01:20 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM, K1TTT <K1TTT at arrl.net> wrote:

> I have seen that picture before and wondered if it was confirmed to have
> hit
> the pad, or did it hit somewhere behind the pad?

Well,
here it's captioned that "Lightning strikes the launchpad"

  http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/view.php?id=22745

but this is some press release written 19 years after the fact and probably
not by someone who was there or had detailed knowledge.  It's a fine
illustration of the problem of lightning in Florida whether or not it
actually hit the pad.

I thought I'd read a more authoritative and detailed account of what
happened somewhere on a nasa.gov page, but if I did, I can't find it right
now.

73
Dan