[TowerTalk] Is lightning hitting the tower..or the yagi's ?

Andy ai.egrps at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 14:53:38 PDT 2010

>> I have seen that picture before and wondered if it was confirmed to have hit
>> the pad, or did it hit somewhere behind the pad?
>>

> If you know which mission, we can probably find out.

The article claims it was STS-8.

>  I know that at
> least one Shuttle was hit by lightning during launch, but I think that
> was after it cleared the towers.

And then there was Apollo 12.

I wasn't aware that it happened to a Shuttle during launch too.  I
thought their launch rules since Apollo 12 pretty much made that
"impossible" (realizing that nothing is impossible when it comes to
lightning).

One of the NASA.gov webpages that features that particular lightning
photo, claims the lightning hit "near" the shuttle, but doesn't say
the pad.

Andy