[TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Galling (Larry McDavid)

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Fri Jun 25 15:32:51 PDT 2010

Lest I be misunderstood, let me clarify that I would prefer to put a
good anti-galling grease on all-stainless fasteners rather than use a
Grade 5 nut on the stainless steel U-bolt. My main reason is that I know
the Grade 5 or 8 nuts will eventually rust.

If I did not use a lock washer on U-bolt nuts, I think I would surely
put on a jam nut. The reason is that it is difficult to get good
compression of a lock washer under the head of a single nut on a U-bolt
as the strap will bend, limiting the compression force.

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)