[TowerTalk] anti seize/never seize ?

Mickey Baker fishflorida at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:12:14 PDT 2010

I worked for a VW dealer in high school. They taught me how to use an impact
wrench and a torch to get those bolts out... and a lot of other fun things!

Many of these compounds are oil based and work by creating a very thin film
between the bolt and the nut.

Brake drums get very hot - especially with teenage drivers who load up all
their friends.

The compound is heat-vaporized and the nut is no longer tight,
yada-yada-yada, the wheel comes off. (I hope no one was injured!)

There are compounds made (by Loctite/Permatex and likely others) for very
high temperatures for this very reason.

You won't usually have that problem with antenna components unless you
really are running a lot of power!

Mickey, N4MB

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr at contesting.com> wrote:

> It was a long time ago, but a cautionary tale.  My daughter had a 1972
> VW beetle.  Those things secured the wheels by way of bolts threaded
> into the brake drums, rather than studs, and it was notoriously hard to
> remove the bolts.  I got some anti-seize compound and put it on the
> threads, where it worked fine, but about 150 miles later one of the
> wheels came off as she was crossing a railroad track.  It turned out
> that all of the wheel bolts were loose.
>
> Moral of the story, for me, would be not to use such compounds in your
> tower installation unless it is somewhere that you can safety-wire the
> bolt, turnbuckle, etc. to prevent unintended loosening.,  The stuff just
> works too well.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

> www.conteststations.com
> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
>

> On 6/24/2010 11:51 AM, Mickey Baker wrote:
> > This stuff works well. I've never had an issue on a part liberally coated
> > with this:
> >
> http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/lubricants/specialty_lubricants/Permatex_Anti-Seize_Lubricant_a.htm
> >
> > As you may know, aluminum to stainless connections are galvanic and will
> > deteriorate. Ultra Tef-Gel is a great product that provides galvanic
> > isolation of parts, including the threads of self-tapping or machine
> screws
> > with dissimilar metals.
> >
> > Mickey N4MB
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Jim Thomson<jim.thom at telus.net>  wrote:
> >

> >> This stuff comes in 8 oz containers [and also larger]   The stuff
> available
> >> from my local
> >> fastener place is made by locktite.   It's used on SS threads so they
> don't
> >> gall, etc.
> >>
> >> It comes in two grades.. standard 'silver'.. and 'marine grade'.   I see
> DX
> >> eng also sells
> >> this goop... and also in both grades.   The only diff i can see between
> the
> >> 2 x types
> >> [besides price]  is the marine grade stuff is rated for a higher temp.
> >> [1800 deg f  vs 1600 deg f]
> >>
> >> The guy tells me the marine grade stuff has a higher temp rating cuz
> it's
> >> used on engine parts
> >> in marine applications. [ I can't see any engine getting this hot, even
> >> turbo].
> >>   No mention of the marine grade being better suited for wet
> environments.
> >>
> >> I'm going to use it for outside ant stuff... like dx eng SS  U clamps,
> etc,
> >> etc.   So other than being
> >> in the rain, the temp is not an issue.
> >>
> >> I bought the regular grade.  Did I buy the wrong stuff ?    On a similar
> >> note, today, 3 of us took down
> >> my trylon tower [to be replaced with a crank up] ... and I had replaced
> 4
> [...]

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and
I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.