[TowerTalk] need advice on 9/16 or 5/8 Rope, not for dipoles

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 30 19:14:10 PDT 2010

The usual "rated" safe hoisting or personnel working load on new ropes
is 10% to 15% of specified breaking strength.  For hoisting, dacron or
other low stretch ropes are better than nylon which because it stretches
so much may cause the load to bounce around a lot.

The other consideration is what will fit through any blocks or gin
poles.  3/4" requires some heavy tackle and is too big for most gin
poles.  I find 7/16" is the minimum size for gloved hands and strong
enough for anything a ground crew will do by hand.  For "something
better" check ship chandlers or arborist suppliers for dacron double
braid.  Your ebay bargain "dacron" may be a "polyester-polypropylene
blend" and likely 3 strand, which depending on the construction can
impart a nice spin when lifting.  Tag lines are a must.

See the interesting tutorial at             http://kickinteractive  dot
com/dc/units/1_1/index.html

Grant  KZ1W