[TowerTalk] tower & antenna project questions

Steve, W3AHL w3ahl at att.net
Fri Mar 12 12:31:16 PST 2010

Wiring the J-bolts and rebar is generally not considered adequate for lightning protection!  Welding or exothermic bonding is used for the commercial towers I've seen.

http://www.polyphaser.com/techdocs/Ufer%20and%20Tower%20Grounding.pdf

The Ufer tower base ground should only be used to supplement standard ground rods & radials.

And the current ARRL Antenna Books still recommend "minimizing the possibility of direct discharge path for lightning through the base."  I certainly don't consider ARRL books a definitive reference, but unless a ham understands the details of Ufer grounding, it's probably still good advice to follow.

Steve, W3AHL

Message: 5