[TowerTalk] Shack wiring

Bruce Burnette k5px at cox.net
Mon Mar 15 07:27:52 PDT 2010

I have my shack wired through a series of plug strips, such that I can
switch off the whole radio side at once without affecting computers or
lighting.  In effect, all of the outlets are in parallel, but strip A is
plugged into the wall, Strip B into Strip A, and Strip C into Strip B.
I recently bought another surge suppressor strip and was surprised to see a
safety warning about NOT connecting strips this way.  So long as each of the
strips has an identical current rating, or at least so long as those closer
to the wall outlet are rated higher than those further along, is there any
real reason not to do what I have done?

Pete,
The thing I would be concerned about is overloading your house circuit. Most
house wiring receptacles are rated at 15 amps for several receptacles , so
you may be close to the "breaker" limit. Most house wiring is 12/3 which is
rated for 20 amps, but you need to check the rating on your breaker.

When I wired my shack, I brought 5, 15 amp 110 volt circuits into the shack
and 3, 220 amp circuits, one @ 30 amps and 2 @ 20 amps. I also have all the
circuits go through double pole single throw switches. This way both the hot
and natural sides of the circuit are switched off. I don't know if this will
help on a direct strike, but it made me feel better and the switches were
not that expensive.

Hope this helps.
73
Bruce, K5PX