[TowerTalk] Shack wiring

HansLG at aol.com HansLG at aol.com
Fri Mar 19 16:31:11 PDT 2010

Hi Jim,

I still don't get it (maybe because I am dumb). At my service entrance  is
a protector that connects has two MOVs, one from each leg to ground.  Ground
in this case is the same as neutral At the water pump is also a protector
that has MOVs frm the two legs (the pump is a 240 V pump) and ground. In the
 shack I have a protector that connects MOVs from neutral AND the hot 120 V
leg  to ground. It also incorporate a protecting circuits for my phone, it
has two  gas discharge tubes between the line and ground.

Should I disconnect al MOVs that are connected to ground ??? As I wrote to
you earlier, my house has had two registered lightning hits (and possible a
 couple of more we don't know about) and everything survived.

Can anyone describe the failure mode that makes the MOV from the hot leg to
 ground bad?

Hans - N2JFS

In a message dated 3/19/2010 1:33:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,