[TowerTalk] comparing top section of crankup to unsupported

Dan n5ar at air-pipe.com
Sat Mar 20 19:23:05 PDT 2010

When I lived in Dallas some 15 years ago I was given a damaged TX472
tower by a friend who was moving to another state. It was folded over in
the 2nd section from the top. I believe it had supported a TH6 and a
shorty forty. He said he had a small tornado come through doing the
damage I  do not know the mast situation. He had hack sawed the tower
off at the bent area. There was a very slight bend in one of the corner
tubes just above the attachment point at the base. I ordered a new
section 2 from UST and replaced the damaged one. I drove a steel bar a
couple of feet long up into the bent leg. This repaired tower supported
a 10-15-20 meter stack for 5 years with no problems. When I moved to
Washington I brought the tower and it now supports a 4el 20/ 2el 40
interlaced F12 yagi and has given no problems in the 10 years up here.

73, Dan, N5AR