[TowerTalk] Shack wiring

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 21 13:11:21 PDT 2010

Paul Christensen wrote:
> I'm trying to locate a current copy of IEEE C62.41.1, "Guide on the Surge
> Environment in Low-Voltage (1000 V and less) AC Power Circuits."  Anyone
> know whether or not that publication recommends the use of SPDs beyond the
> service panel on the load side of distribution up to the point of
> receptacles?
>
> Paul, W9AC

That looks like an ANSI number (not that IEEE isn't involved..).
 From a few googles, it looks like it defines a set of "standard
environments" to be used as design or test requirements, rather than a
"recommended practice".

"This is a guide describing the surge voltage, surge current, and
temporary overvoltages (TOV) environment in low-voltage [up to 1000 V
root mean square (rms)] ac power circuits. This scope does not include
other power disturbances, such as notches, sags, and noise. "

Earlier editions in the series talk about recommended practice, but the
recommended practice is for "testing" not "installation".

Sort of like UL1149 describes test methods for TVSS, not performance
requirements.

For usage, Standler's book:"Protection of Electronic Circuits from
Overvoltages" is the hot ticket.

http://store.doverpublications.com/0486425525.html

It's also on google books, so maybe the pages that are visible that way
give you useful knowledge.