[TowerTalk] Cage Dipole Project Question

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Fri May 7 06:23:40 PDT 2010

David J. Sourdis - HK1A wrote:
> If I am not wrong in The Antenna Compendium vol. I or vol. II, there is a wide bandwidth dipole made with only two wires spaced about 6 feet for 160m, wires meet at the ends on each half of the antenna. The author says it spans 1.8-2.0 MHz under 2:1 SWR. A scaled model for 3.75 MHz is under 2:1 for 3.5-4.0 MHz.

In the Antenna Conpendium volumn 2, page 106, there is a "Fat Dipole",
by Robert C. Wilson.  In the table it claims a bandwidth of 500 kHz on
80 meters (no mention of what the SWR is for that bandwidth).  In the
text he says the SWR is less than 1.6 from 3.5 to 4 MHz.  EZNEC says the
2 to 1 SWR bandwidth at 50 ft height and no feedline is 240 KHz.  That
antenna is just two parallel wires (total length of 118 ft), both
driven, separated by 3 ft, not connected at the ends.

Here is an antenna that will give you all of 80 meters under 2 to 1 SWR:
http://rudys.typepad.com/ant/files/antenna_broadband_dipole.pdf

Jerry, K4SAV