[TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue May 18 00:47:54 PDT 2010

On 5/17/2010 8:47 PM, Kathy Bookmiller wrote:
> Hi TTers,
> I got that Rohn 45 tilt-over down and home last week. In remarkably good condition. Only thing I wondering about is the TB3 thrust bearing and how to lubricate it. It turns freely but has a notable rumbling sound and feel to it.
The TB-3 is far from a precision bearing or the feel of a precision
bearing. IOW It's rough!

IIRC they used to say not to grease them, but rather run them dry.  You
have steel ball bearings running in a cast aluminum race which is not
the best combination in the world.

I've literally destroyed two TB-3 bearings. I'm moving to all sleeve
type thrust bearings with collars above them that can be tightened in
place to support the load when the rotator is removed.

73

Roger (K8RI)