[TowerTalk] Fwd: thrust bearing lubrication

Brahmangou at aol.com Brahmangou at aol.com
Tue May 18 09:12:33 PDT 2010

____________________________________
 From: Brahmangou at aol.com
To: K7LXC at aol.com
Sent: 5/18/2010 11:11:45 A.M.  Central Daylight Time
Subj: Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing  lubrication

OK, by what means does grit leave an ungreased bearing?
I'm wrong? Zero bearing failures on my equipment, multiple failures on
yours.....

Marty AB5GU

In a message dated 5/18/2010 10:56:45 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
K7LXC at aol.com writes:

In  a message dated 5/18/2010 8:39:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Brahmangou at aol.com writes:

>  Unlubricated bearings?  Maybe the reason you are wearing out  the races.
I use Moly grease  on all of mine, no problems yet. Every bearing  needs
lubrication,  even old windmills from 100 years ago have oilers, and
windmills
only turn at about 75 rpm. Where I live dust and dirt above 50  feet  is
not a
problem, maybe in West Texas or Arizona the big dust  storms could  deposit
enough to make a difference.

The Rohn thrust bearing isn't a conventional  bearing in the  sense
you're talking about above. It turns at 1 RPM. The   manufacturer says does
not
say to grease it. The LXC Prime  Directive  says to "DO what the
manufacturer
says." In this case,  do not grease the Rohn  TB.

> The grease would not make  a  negative difference in  the grit problem.

The grease will retain any grit, dust, dirt, air  particulates, etc.
that blow in. No grease - no long-term grit in the  bearings.

>  Once grit gets into the races the damage is done,  grease  or no grease.
No way to get the grit back out either way.

Yes there is - don't put any in in the first   place.

>  Actually the grease would help keep the grit out.  Once a  bearing is
put
through several rotations, excess grease is  forced out through  the races.
There is no way to get this grease  back into the bearings.   There is no
grease pump to move  grease back onto the bearing surfaces.This is  why you
repack wheel  bearings. The excess grease can act as  a semi-seal for the
races.

Sure, for more conventional bearings. The  races  in the Rohn TB are
open to the wx which means that rain and  grit can get in  and it can also
get
out. The predominant damage  I've seen with Rohn TB's is  that the races
have
been hammered by  the wind forces and the steel ball  bearings being
pounded
against  the softer aluminum races.

So, sir, you are still  wrong.

Cheers,