[TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Tue May 18 13:18:40 PDT 2010

On 5/18/2010 Grant Saviers wrote:

...snip...

> I'm thinking that plastic sleeve bearings might be the answer for
> handling the lateral mast force.  Teflon /Rulon/Torlon are obvious
> choices if cost is no object.  UHMW (ultra high molecular weight)
> polyethylene is a cheap very slippery plastic used for sliding bearings
> and low speed rotating bearings.  It's cheap but can't handle much UV,
> so will need covering up from sunlight.  ...snip...

Another problem with UMHW is that it cold flows, which is why I was saying a thrust bearing made if one of the glass reinforced self lubricating plastics (say a glass reinforced teflon - of course pure teflon cold flows too)

I wonder of a coating of say Molgice would be perfect.  As you said, something like Rulon 142 would probably be perfect (for that matter Torlon)

I can't see it being THAT expensive - the real cost on say Torlon would be in the making of the mold - run off a bunch or rings the right size so that you don't end up with 90% of the material on the floor

--
73 de KG2V

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations,
pursuing invariably the same Object evinces
 a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,
it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government,
 and to provide new Guards for their future security."

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com
My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

VEGETARIAN, noun: Indian word meaning "lousy hunter".