[TowerTalk] Optimium Tower Height

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed May 19 21:44:32 PDT 2010

There was an article years ago that said if you could only have one tower
then 70 feet or so was optimum for 20, 15, and 10.

Even with a 70 foot height I can remember hams with 40 foot towers and small
tri-banders beating me out to say Central America from W5.  In 1970
I built a VE3BMV 7 element razor 10 meter beam
and ran away with the high North America score on Single band 10 in the CQ
SSB Contest (Later called the CQ WPX).  I was about the only station
to consistently get into Eastern and Northern Europe.  One SM said he could
hear me for hours calling CQ Contest.  A local with a TA-33 at 45 feet beat
me to several Canal Zone stations (Panama).

When Val N4RJ was working on his stack on 10 he moved the bottom all over
the place.  He said 22 feet was ideal for working South America.  Bill
W4AN/KM9P (SK) had a TH6 up at 45 feet aimed at Europe.  He said that was
ideal for 15 and even 20 when the band was wide open.

I agree with those who said that you need to consider the terrain.  Bob
W5CKY/W5AO (SK) had a Hy-gain Duo Band 20/40 up on a bluff in Jackson, MS.
His tower was at least 80 feet tall
and he told me he had to use that height to clear the top of the bluff to
the West.  He used to hold his own on 40 CW to Europe but really had to work
for SE Asia and Japan.  To Europe he had a big drop off so the effective
height was much more than his tower height.

73 Dave K4JRB