[TowerTalk] Motorized Crank Up Towers

Don Tucker w7wll at arrl.net
Thu May 20 09:51:46 PDT 2010

A little late comment Steve, but you make a very good point.  My HG-70HD came with the motor control option but I never bothered to install it. And, glad I did not. Last spring, after all the winter winds, I decided to hand crank it back up to full height (it was at 2/3).  Did NOT notice that  a section of the top drooping cable had evidently been blown hard enough to hang up over the top coax arm.  Noticed the cranking was suddenly a little hard, looked up and my coax arm was bent down at almost 45 degrees. Necessitated cranking it back down all the way, climbing up and replacing the coax arm. Hate to think what might have happened if I'd had the motor attached and raised it from inside the shack. Lesson learned -  always do a close inspection of the tower if its been cranked down awhile.

Don W7WLL