[TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat May 22 11:23:25 PDT 2010

 >> But the 3-5 k  has to go at the feedpoint, and not in the form of a
 >> line isolator at the entrance to the shack?
 >
 > That's right, because the feedline acts like any other antenna.
 > Choking it at the shack simply puts an open circuit at that point,
 > but depending on its length, that can make it a very effective RX
 > antenna, which then couples to the main antenna.

Correct if one is interested in keeping the omnidirectional noise
from coupling to the antenna.

 >> Put another way, is their any benefit to installing a 5 K choke
 >> balun at the entrance to shack... [for noise elimination] ?
 >
 > Probably not for noise isolation, but it is definitely a good thing
 > to kill interaction with other antennas, especially wire and some
 > verticals. See my discussion on using chokes as the equivalent of
 > "egg insulators" in the feedline.

There may be ... if the omnidirectional noise can couple to the
antenna in one direction, it should also be able to couple into
the receiver in the other direction (particularly if the equipment
is not properly grounded and decoupled as you have documented
elsewhere).

I'm a believer in placing a broadband 5K common mode choke on the
equipment side of the feedline(s) at the common (entry) ground.
All equipment should be bonded to the common ground point with a
separate, large conductor and not rely on the shield of the coax
for that purpose.   Even if the common ground is relatively poor
at RF, it will still be fairly low compared to choke's impedance
and result in about 30 dB in reduction of common mode noise on
the shield.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV