[TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sat May 22 13:00:47 PDT 2010

Jim,

Sorry, but I'm still going to disagree ;)

Tom (W8JI) and Owen (VK1OD) have both shown that you can't create a 4:1
current balun by combining the two 1:1's on a common magnetic circuit.
Two of the examples I quoted earlier show exactly the same thing because
they require different voltages across the windings of the two baluns -
obviously that's not possible if they have the same number of turns and
are wound on the same core.

My point is a different one. Depending on the degree of balance of the
load, one or both of the 1:1 baluns has a minimum of half, and in some
cases much more, of the differential-mode voltage across it. The flux in
those 1:1 baluns will be no different than the flux in a voltage
transformer with the same core, same number of turns, and the same
voltage across the windings. They both obey Faraday's Law just the same.

73,
Steve G3TXQ