[TowerTalk] Mast Dimension

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue May 25 08:21:34 PDT 2010

In a message dated 5/17/2010 12:03:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Ok boys and girls, we are talking about a steel mast  here.  I am working
with a top section that has a 2" hole for the  mast.

    Two-inch ID exactly? What kind of tower is it?  What is the
configuration of the top section? Is it a Rohn AG taper-top or  what?

>  I have seen some comments about 1 7/8' diameter  mast.  When I order the
mast, it should be 2", correct?

If your hole is indeed 2" then a 2" galvanized  mast won't fit in there
because with the layer of galvanizing it'll be bigger  than 2".

    Two-inch hardware isn't the best thing to use on  a 1-7/8" mast but a
small tribander will probably do okay since the size and  forces are pretty
minimal.

>  On a 50' tower, is ten foot of mast too much for a small  tribander and
a 2 meter bean?

That's a pretty big bean.

    If the tribander is at the top of the tower and  the 2M beam is at the
top of the mast, with all other things being adequate,  it sounds fine to
me. (But you didn't mention what kind of tower or what your  local windspeed
conditions are.)

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH