[TowerTalk] Lightning suppression through coax loops

David Jordan Wa3gin at comcast.net
Thu May 27 06:37:10 PDT 2010

Decades ago in the SBS lab we were trouble-shooting a freq. lock problem
with the rubidium clocks we used for the satellite switches. Randomly the
clocks would loose sync causing the switch to drop off the satellite
momentarily. Spikes being generated by other equipment in the remote sites
were effecting the very sensitive devices which was using a very inexpensive
power supply. We discovered that your average 100ft AC extension cord in
series with the clock power supply input solved the problem. Spikes
apparently don't like going around in circles ;-) I'm not sure two turns of
coax would provide much additional surge suppression at the levels
encountered at the typical tower antenna...

You mileage may vary.

Enjoy,
Dave
Wa3gin