[TowerTalk] dig of the day

knormoyle at surfnetusa.com knormoyle at surfnetusa.com
Thu May 27 17:29:04 PDT 2010

hey we have to poke a little fun, to make the work we do seem justified.

check out
http://cgi.ebay.com/Extendable-Retractable-Antenna-Tower-/250639792686?
cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5b4bba2e#ht_500wt_1154

At first glance, looks like a typical old Triex WT-51, right?
Probably needs winch replaced, cables, thrust bearing looks dead.

But the interesting part is the bottom.

Looks like Simpson Strongtie holddowns were used, (with a hole drilled in them for the bolt to tower?)
..and with single bolt (instead of two?) and then probably to anchor bolts ala US Tower (thru the HD
holddowns.

Apparently these things allow you to get FREE TV reception. And this tower is HEAVY!
(triex wt-51's are around 350 lbs. I guess it's all relative)

also says "Galvanized steel tower with 3 telescoping sections and a hand winch. Retracted heigh is
approximately 34' 8" Extended heigh is approxomately 71' 6"."

I don't think so! probably 51'

Hey, do people rubberband their towers? All you guys bragging 200'..are they really 100'?

-kevin (hey I got my toroids at my doorstep 2 days ago..amazing fast.)