[TowerTalk] BCD relay driver ideas needed

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun May 30 10:28:37 PDT 2010

On 5/30/2010 1:04 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> On 5/30/2010 12:27 PM, Pete Smith wrote:
>
>> I bought an Ameritron RCS-10 antenna switch at Dayton, particularly
>> because of its BCD control protocol.  My thought was to use the BCD band
>> data output from my shack computer, running N1MM Logger, to control the
>> remote relay box in parallel with the manual controller.  But in order
>> to do that, I will need 3 relay drivers to supply the needed current,
>> and presumably, will also need a level shifter because the relays want
>> 12 volts, while my LPT port is 5.
>>

> I build a number of these for adding streams to Gas and Liquid
> Chromatographs  (GLCs).  The output was BCD, I went to RadioShack picked
> up a single decoder and the number of optoisolators to match the number
> of relays/valves. RS had all the parts, they cost well less than $10
> each and took about 15 to 20 minutes each to build on perf board.

I forgot to mention the optoisolators will drive the 12V relays directly.
The circuit is simple, I think it might be on the back of the decoder's
package. Just the decoder, some resistors, and the optoisolators. (It
will need the 12VDC)
The standard decoder decodes 4 lines into 10, so you can drive relays to
your hearts content.
I don't know if they'd have the parts in stock today, or what they'd cost.

73

Roger (K8RI)