[TowerTalk] Delta Loop Tuning Tip

Tony Brock-Fisher barockteer at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 06:14:49 PDT 2010

For many years I have used a pair of vertically polarized delta loops in a phased configuration on 80 meters. These have performed very well. Each loop is approximately an equilateral triangle, apex up. The base is parallel to and about 6 feet above the ground. The feedpoint is ¼ wavelength from the top which gives the vertical polarization. One issue I have had to contend with is setting the frequency for SSB or CW. Each year several times during contest season I would go out and insert or remove a section in the bottom leg to change the length and resonant frequency of each loop.

This year I figured out an easier way to adjust the frequency of the loops. I tuned them for the SSB portion of the band. To lower the resonant frequency for SW, I simply attached a length of wire to the center of the bottom of each loop. About 10-12 feet was enough to get the frequency to the CW portion of the band. The stubs can be left to hang down, or the can be suspended so they are parallel to the ground. This approach does not require loosening and re-tightening the supports for the base leg.

-Tony, K1KP