[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Indicator

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Thu Nov 11 17:47:30 PST 2010

Roger,

Selsyns work well if they are mounted with a positive connection to
matching 1-1 gears.  I know that W3LPL has had a bunch of them in
operation that have worked well for him.  Some have had success with a
pulley on the selsyn shaft the same diameter as the mast and clamping a
small aircraft cable around the mast.

Other alternatives include setting up a 10 turn low resistance pot with
a 8-1 ratio between the pot and the mast so you have an extra turn on
either end.  Then you can have the same kind of setup you would see on a
Ham M type rotator using a meter.

I have had both and have had some problems with both - not because of
the technology but the implementation.  Currently have two of them that
need attention.

I believe the best solution is to buy a Green Heron Engineering/K7NV
control box.  Their indicator system uses a stationary reed switch and a
magnet that is on a piece that is mounted to the bottom of the motor
shaft.  You set the gear reduction ratio in the rotator box - 9576-1 for
a small prop pitch - and as it spins it will count turns and give you a
very accurate digital readout.  The point and shoot knob and electronic
limiting of rotation are other desirable features.  If you have a big
antenna you can also ramp up the motor, ramp it down, and run it full
out in between.  The control box is not cheap but in my opinion most
antennas that are big enough to require a prop pitch are worth spending
the extra money on that control box if you can afford it.  I have one
and wish I had two more.

Stan, K5GO