[TowerTalk] which type of coax?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 10:34:24 PST 2010

yes as Dave wrote, we need to know your planned range of frequencies, needed
length, and route above ground or below grade etc.  Will the feedline need
to be suspended in the air with no support from a dipole feedpoint?  Or will
it be on the ground or anchored to a tower leg?  Also, the estimated length
of time it is needed.  For example, there are some coaxes I would recommend
if you were planning on using them for 20 years.  But if you only need a
feedline for a year I would not recommend them.  Some professional grade
feedlines actually pay for themselves if you use them long enough.

A paradox to some hams is that the longer the run and lower the power level,
the better and lower loss (i.e. higher power handling capability) you need.
Some hams buy based on power handling ability for a frequency, purchasing 8X
or 58U for example for QRP.  In reality, for very low power levels you
actually need the very best feedline you can afford.

Anyway, you can't get good advice until you have answered these quesitons.

73

Rob
K5UJ