[TowerTalk] Replacing cable on crankup

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 08:37:43 PST 2010

In a message dated 11/17/2010 1:52:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Is there an easy way to replace the cable on a standing,  crankup tower?

>  It seems to me that it may be possible to  attach the new cable to the
old and then thread the new cable through the  pullys.

Yes, with proper  blocking that's the way to do it. Proper blocking being
pieces of pipe or 2x4's  or something else pretty substantial under the
bottom of each tower section.

        I guess my question is why  do you think the cables need replacing?
If you have deep rust, excessive broken  strands or obvious damage to the
cables, then they do need replacing. I'll bet a  nickel that you have none of
those conditions. I've worked on dozens of  crank-ups and have almost never
seen cables so bad they needed replacing. This  is a function of a UST
weasel clause; that is, if you don't replace the  cables per their
recommendation, they can weasel out of any liability.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams