[TowerTalk] Replacing cable on crankup

Mike noddy1211 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 19 16:03:24 PST 2010

Steve is defiantly correct, the top sections of my LM-470 have the original
1980 cables with a little surface rust and are still in good condition.

The bottom cable and pull down cable I changed out because the newer Tri-ex
style towers use a thicker more flexible cable because it was realized that
the tight radius on the bottom pulley's unduly stressed the thinner more
rigid wire rope.

You might use some of the Wire Rope Lubricant (Prelube 6) on the cables
which lubricates without attracting dust and small grit to the cables.  This
can be got at any wire rope supplier or off of Steve's website
http://www.championradio.com/shop/Miscellaneous.7

The important thing to do is check the cables at regular six monthly periods
and run the tower up and down a four times a year or so.

Mike, K6BR