[TowerTalk] OT ?? - Manual tuners

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Nov 27 00:32:24 PST 2010

I don't have the schematic for that tuner handy, but assuming it is a
T-Network the most efficient setting will probably be the one where
either the input or the output capacitance is closest to maximum (which
capacitor depends upon whether the load impedance is less than or
greater than the source impedance (rig, coax).  In general, the most
efficient setting for a T-Network tuner is the one that makes it looks
as close to an L-Network as possible.  You can prove this to yourself by
checking out the online T-Network virtual tuner by W9CF at
http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/tuner/tuner.html .... you can set the
values manually yourself, but if you use the "autotune" function it will
seek the most efficient match.  It will even tell you the efficiency for
various settings.   It's a very cool application.

73,
Dave   AB7E