[TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts From MFJ

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Nov 27 05:07:42 PST 2010

> &&& good point. So if the mfj ele's are snapping clean off..... then
> the ultimate strength must have been reduced by a whole bunch..which
> means xtal clear to me, that mfj CAN'T be using 6061-T6 or 6063-T832.
> Other than 6061-T6 and also 6063-T832..... I don't know what else
> will work [that's actually readily available]. There is all sorts of
> junk AL tubing that obviously WON'T work... and MFJ has proven that
> point.

When the MFJ/Hy-Gain broke, it was generally not from a single event
failure (one large wind) but from work hardening.  The elements had
mechanical resonance which was excited under certain wind conditions.
The elements would oscillate/flex and the constant vibration would
cause cracking with eventual failure.

The Hy-Gain V-66 (as well as the other monoband antennas) includes
rope dampers that are to be inserted into the element tips to prevent
the "work hardening" and tip failure.

Before speculating on the alloy/temper make sure the antenna was
installed "as the manufacturer said" ... from my experience, the
dampers have been part of Hy-Gain monoband antenna designs for 40
years at least (they're certainly not something MFJ added so they
could use lower quality aluminum).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV