[TowerTalk] OT ?? - Manual tuners

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Nov 27 12:32:55 PST 2010

> In general, the most efficient setting for a T-Network tuner is the one
> that makes it looks
> as close to an L-Network as possible.

I've noticed the same result and my primary ATU is a remote-controlled
switchable "L."  Also component Q and total output C makes a substantial
difference with C-L-C "T" tuners when low Z terminations are used.  A while
back, I was very much fixated on high output C from a T tuner to achieve
reasonable efficiency with low Z loads.  But as I began experimenting with
EZNEC and transmission line simulator software, a multiband dipole or loop
for a half-wave length (or more) at the lowest operating frequency will
never plague you with anywhere near those low-Z loads.

OTOH, anyone planning on using physically short antennas, needs to be
mindful of component Q and C values.  Myself, I would try to stay away from
physically short antennas, absent a mobile antenna installation.  And so,
most tuners are adequate when full-size multiband wire antennas are used.

Paul, W9AC