[TowerTalk] tuners and power rating

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Nov 29 07:18:50 PST 2010

Using TLD, I first ran a simulation on 80m using LMR-400 and a 250 ohm load
for a 5:1 VSWR. I ran the coax length from an electrical 1/4 wave through a
1/2 wave.

Total loss at 1/4 wave of line:  0.34 dB; 40% conductor loss, 50% SWR loss.
Z at the tuner is 10 ohms.
Total Loss at 1/2 wave of line :  0.66 dB (percentage of loss attributed to
conductor and SWR is essentially the same).  Z at tuner is 217 ohms.

So at first it may seem like a quarter-wave section of line has the lower
system loss.  But, there's a factor missing here:  The tuner.  If the tuner
has high Q components and a high output C value, a 10 ohm load may still
result in lower system losses.  OTOH, if the tuner has low-Q components at
the operating F and insufficient output C, then the system using the
quarter-wave line may have substantially more loss.

VK1OD tries to address the total system losses in his charts.  I believe he
chooses typical component values when addressing losses through a T type
tuner.  To get the real losses requires knowing more about the tuner type
and Q of tuner components from 160m through 10m.  The L and C values are
often disclosed by the manufacturer.  But equally important, charts should
be provided that address Q values, especially Q of L as L changes.  Armed
with that information, EZNEC (to get antenna terminal Z), a transmission
line calculator like TLD, and the W9CF tuner loss calculator, we can compute
accurate loss figures as well as conduct "what if" analysis by changing
values.

A really cool program would incorporate a basic NEC function (say...just for
horizontal dipole types), TLD, and W9CF's tuner calculator.  One program to
vary antenna length/height, line length/type, and tuner component values
with variable Q.  That would tell the whole story.  Any takers?

Paul, W9AC