[TowerTalk] Tuners

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Nov 29 11:57:30 PST 2010

Steve,

Sure makes one think about where and how the loss of Q is occurring.
Unused turns can couple to the active portion of the coil, reducing Q.
Another factor that comes to mind is the shorting rod that impresses a wheel
against a coil or in the case of an edgewound variable, the shorting bar to
the wiper contacts.  Coils wound on solid dielectric material is also a
factor unless the coil is air-wound.

In my homebrew motorized tuner, a pair of Collins silver tape inductors are
used on ceramic forms which supposedly keeps Q reasonably consistent as a
function of F and L.  Unused tape spools up on a conductive cylinder.  There
are no moving contacts.  I've not tested one of these coils but it would be
worth the effort to see if the claim is true or not.

Link-coupled tuners with plug-in coils designed for single-band operation
generally do not suffer from Q loss.  Link coils made from B&W Airdux or
free standing coils made from stiff copper tubing are capable of keeping Q
very high.

Paul, W9AC