[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain rotator bearing positioning

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Oct 13 17:56:26 PDT 2010

  Speaking of rotators:  I have what appears to be a relatively old, Ham
IV.  It has two rows of ball bearings in plastic retainers.  Although
Hy-Gain says they should be the same, one row has 49 while the other has
51.  The smaller goes on the bottom with the larger on top.

The question arises as to how the retainers go in.  I assume that the
bottom one goes with the retainer to the bottom and the top one with the
retainer on top.  That would leave them relatively open when the
bearings run together.    I haven't bee able to find any documentation
as to which way they go.  The rotator arrived in pieces so I didn't have
any reference for the assembly.

73

Roger (K8RI)