[TowerTalk] Sealing Coax Connector

Ryan Jairam rjairam at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 10:42:38 PDT 2010

The "official" method by Andrew corp and others is to use butyl tape
to seal the connection and electrical tape on top.  That works very
well and keeps the connection more or less waterproof.

You can also use silicone tape (rescue tape) instead of the butyl tape
but I still would put a layer of electrical tape on top.

None of these materials will degrade the RF characteristics.

Ryan, N2RJ

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Richard Solomon <w1ksz at q.com> wrote:
> I have a few SO-239 connectors that will be exposed to the weather. I want
> seal them from the elements.
> Can anyone suggest some "goop" that will do that without messing up the RF
> characteristics ? Something that will work up into the VHF Bands.
>
> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

Ryan A. Jairam,