[TowerTalk] Bringing feedlines through the floor

W2RU - Bud Hippisley W2RU at frontiernet.net
Fri Oct 22 19:37:44 PDT 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:50 PM, n8de at thepoint.net wrote:

> I lifted one edge of a real heating duct, then, with some prying,
> moved one side of the duct away from the opening and ran all the coax
> and control lines through the new opening which is below the floor
> level.
> Soon will need to run one ladder-line through that opening and not
> sure how well I can insulate it from the metal of the duct.

I did the same as you at a previous QTH.  For the open wire line, however, I drilled two holes, each just large enough for a single #18 wire -- spaced the same spacing as the open wire line that would be running above and below the floor -- as close to the baseboard as I could.  Then I soldered the open wire line to this little "jumper" topside and below.  I placed the two holes far enough away from the heating duct to minimize any unbalanced coupling between the ductwork and the OWL.   It's been many years since we moved from that house, but I doubt the new owners have any idea there are two tiny holes in the floor next to the baseboard in one room....:-)

Bud, W2RU