[TowerTalk] Resonant boom

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Sun Oct 24 20:08:31 PDT 2010

John,

You may be right....

I have an issue with this particular antenna since it folded my 35 year
old gin pole when the antenna was almost at the top of the tower going
up 18 months ago - not a fun experience.  I really don't want to take it
down and put it back up again.

All the elements are already insulated.  Actually looking at it today
the side/vertical trusses are fiberglass rod that go out part way but
the straight up vertical truss is 1/4" EHS (good news) which doesn't
show up in the picture on the website.   The only problem other than
time may be to add a step or two to the truss support to insulate those
vertical trusses in the center.  I believe the truss support is
approximately 8 feet above the boom.  Kevin could perhaps reach it but
I'm afraid his YF might not speak to me afterwards. :-)

Modeling it as best I can the boom by itself  is resonant around 7.2
Mhz.  Insulating those guy wires in the center should do the trick.  It
moves it down to about 5.3 Mhz.

This is what exactly what K3LR ended up doing when he had a similar
problem with a 20m boom interacting with a 40m antenna.

73...Stan, K5GO