[TowerTalk] Likely repairs for a US Tower HDX589MDPL crank-up tower?

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Oct 26 07:48:19 PDT 2010

In a message dated 10/25/2010 9:34:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I purchased a 6 year old US Tower HDX-589MDPL crank-up  from  an SK's
estate last year. It has been sitting horizontal since it  was delivered from
US Tower - it has never been put into service -- but it  appears to be in
great shape with no rust. I have had it at my cabin location  near Romney, WV
the past year covered by a tarp.

>  I expect  that I will need to replace the cable and perhaps the pulleys.
 I also  think the motor may need to be replaced and perhaps limit switches
 too.

    How do you know that any of this needs to be  done? I doubt that any of
this is necessary. I'm a UST factory authorized  installer and having spent
time at the factory learning how to work on them.  I've installed several
dozen of them and worked on many more and in general  the cables and pulleys
will last for many years with little or no maintenance.  There's a chapter
in my UP THE TOWER book (_www.championradio.com_
(http://www.championradio.com) ) just on  crank-ups and their maintenance.

    Reasons for cable replacement are 1) excessive  broken strands, 2)
damaged cable or 3) fatal rust. I doubt that you have any  of those.

>  My thought is that if this project is going to be  a huge effort, it
might be better to sell the tower and go with a simpler  tower like an AN
Wireless freestanding tower. Because the tower isn't located  where I can get to
it very often, refurbing this thing is going to take quite  awhile if the
effort is at all significant.

    A real tower is much more reliable than a  crank-up. That might be the
best way to go.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -