[TowerTalk] Concrete Strength

kr7x1 at frontier.com kr7x1 at frontier.com
Wed Oct 27 11:47:42 PDT 2010

List readers:

Please go to the PCA (Portland Cement Association) or ACI (American Concrete Institute) web sites and read the FAQs on concrete.

Concrete once mixed with water does not need additional water to assist the exothermic reaction (generates heat) that allows the mixture to harden. The reason you cure the exposed surfaces with water is to help to draw away the heat and assisted in the limiting of shrinkage cracking at the exposed surfaces.

A mix designed for 2500 psi is a specification that it should develop 2500 psi compressive stress strength in 28 days. It actually continues to cure to a higher strength after that point but at an asymptotic rate where it would take many years to get to some significantly higher strength value.

I typically specify 2500 psi concrete strength when designing amateur tower foundations. I do so to avoid special inspection requirements by some jurisdictions, as this is in the building codes. This allows for just about any method of placement by any yahoo.

The "rule of thumb" is that after 1 week the concrete mix typically cures to about 2/3's of its design strength, value whatever that is.

Keep your facts straight by doing some research. If you can post here, you should be able to use "google" or another search engine.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
H.Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X
President