[TowerTalk] Plastic Owls

Robert Harmon k6uj at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 1 11:42:40 PDT 2010

Steve,

You are quite right.   Duly noted.  No more on divining rods from me..................

Back to our forum, hi,hi.
I couldn't find much in the archives on solutions to birds on our antennas.   I wanted to follow
up on my last comment concerning my (unsuccessful)  experience with a plastic owl for bird abatement.
I have found a solution that so far has worked well for me.
We are surrounded with vineyards around here and birds are are big issue for the winery owners.
I found out that many of the wineries use a network of ultrasonic bird repellers.   It was suggested
that I try a small ultrasonic unit mounted close to the tower.  I purchased a small unit manufactured by Bird-X
from Home Depot and mounted it about 5 foot up from the base of the tower.  Voila, it works !
The cost for one of these units isn't much more than a plastic owl.   I cleaned the bird droppings
off my owl and mounted him on a fence post in the back yard.  (I may have to mount a tiny umbrella
above him to protect him from bird droppings, hi,hi)

73,
Bob
K6UJ