[TowerTalk] Concrete testing

Michael Goins wmgoins at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 12:03:08 PDT 2010

That is all I was saying and that this is unnecessarily confusing to the new
guys.

No way more than some very, very limited number of people would ever have
reason to doubt the quality of concrete mix coming from a commercial vendor
or have to go to such extremes. It is unnecessary. Commercial concrete guys
do that for a living and pour lots of concrete, and I seriously doubt if
less-than-superb concrete could make a difference with most ham
installations. In 35 years at this I have never heard of a ham losing a
tower due to concrete failure because the slump wasn't right or whatever.

As Roger said so simply - the base keeps the tower from sinking or skidding
sideways. If self-supporting, it needs to be adequate to handle that too.
It's not rocket science for most installations and slump/concrete
compression figures et al is totally unnecessary and confusing in most
situations. I don't have Arecibo here - I have a ham radio installation
crank-up that will hold a quad and a wire or two.

Do it right - according to the manufacturer's spec or some engineer's
drawings, but take a deep breath and lighten up some.

Mike, k5wmg
Pipe Creek, Texas
Green cars, slow boats, big dogs, old trucks, little radios, and summers off
to write