[TowerTalk] Ham Rotor Question

Jon Pearl - Laptop jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Sep 7 08:47:46 PDT 2010

Hi Todd.

Being a cubical quad user for many, many years I found myself folding over
the tower with the boom aimed in all sorts of directions for obvious
reasons.  Since the quad is an three dimensional I always found that I had
to climb a ladder to reach a broken wire or to even approach the mast or
rotator.  Large yagis are really no different in some respects, in that the
longest element is always poking into the dirt - limiting how far down the
tower lays.

Your current situation dictates that you either find a wiring problem and
fix it with the tower in a vertical position or loosen the saddle clamps on
the boom-to-mast plate and rotate the antenna by hand so that you can fold
your tower over to get to the rotator as you've done in the past.  The
reduction gearing of the Ham-M won't allow you to rotate it by hand.

Once you've gotten your rotator concerns out sorted out, the NN4ZZ Tilt
Plate may be an option for you (for ground level maintenance, anyways) --
http://nn4zz.com/tiltplate.htm.  Your boom will still nest parallel to the
earth but upon tower tilting, the boom and elements will slowly rotate to
maintain a horizontal position that should allow you to fold your tower down
to a point easily accessible to you while you're on the ground.  No more
ladders.

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com