[TowerTalk] Which feedline to use

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Sep 8 13:51:11 PDT 2010

On 9/8/2010 8:11 AM, Doug Rehman wrote:
> I've been using LMR-400 with my crankup tower for about 5 years, including
> the rotor loop. I've got about 10 runs bundled into a large umbilical cord
> with the rotor cable, a heavy cable for the 24V tower lights, and a control
> cable. The tower is raised/lowered about once a month on average. The
> antennas have been used in contesting, including VHF/UHF, so they've seen a
> lot of rotation. The rotor loop is fairly large, sticking out from the tower
> about 2'. LMR-400 is stiff enough, especially when multiple runs are
> bundled, that the rotor loop doesn't hang. So far, no problems.

Very few put in a 2' diameter expansion/rotator loop, but such does work
just fine. LMR-400 and LMR-600 have a tough enough jacket than they tend
to be slippery as well.  I use 3 turns of 18" diameter loops laying on
top of my 45G.

Properly done with enough allowed to make the bends and with proper
support at those bends for a crank up they will work, but it takes
plenty of support to keep the coax from bending excessively at those
supports.

73

Roger (K8RI)