[TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Shunt Fed Boom, dangers of RF in shack?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Sep 10 12:43:47 PDT 2010

 > Mike, do you have line chokes on the coax feed lines? It appears to me
 > that when you use the boom as ana antenna, the coax feed line for the
 > yagi will radiate and have RF on its shield outside.

In addition to chokes, I would make sure the shield of any feedline is
connected to the MAST (for boom fed yagis) or the ground system (for
shunt fed towers) and would disconnect any feedline that involved a
DC grounded (e.g. beta, hairpin or T match) element when the boom/shunt
feed was in use.  Without special care, the higher frequency feedline
will be tapping the active (fed) element at a high voltage point.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV