[TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance

Perry - K4PWO k4pwo at comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 12:42:53 PDT 2010

<SNIP>
"I think this all reminds me of the bumblebee axiom quoted here (or on
Cq-contest, can't remember), which said that -- and it is fact --
aerodynamic experts, calculating mass and wing surface area, have concluded
the mathematically, bees can't fly. The bees, not knowing any better, just
fly."
</SNIP>

That's a canard (pun intended)... the "grade school" description of lift due
to the Bernoulli Principle fails to describe many aspects of a bee's flight.
But so does inverted flight of any asymmetrical style airfoil (the Bernoulli
"low pressure" zone is on the bottom of the wing when inverted which would
"suck" the aircraft out of the sky).
A better analysis using modern aerodynamics explains a bee's flight quite
well.

73 de Perry - K4PWO

Back to towers and antennas!